Sunday, September 16, 2007

Regal Chinese Restaurant 16/09/07 - 62%

Regal Chinese Restaurant
Lunch - Sunday 16 September 2007

Cnr Liverpool and Sussex St.

For the first entry to the blog, I revisited the place I went just two days ago. I was still very impressed with it. Kate is also scoring this one, as she is far more experienced than me. I guess I will ask others I dine with on occasion to score to be included.

It took about 20 minutes to get a table of four at 12.30 on a Sunday, so that is not bad at all. The variety of dishes was very good, and they had a few dishes that I haven’t seen around Sydney. One down side was that some staples, such as prawn dumplings and BBQ pork buns, only passed our table once during our visit.

Price wise, I think it was reasonable, a little above average price, but the quality of the food justified it.

The prawn dumplings were good – fresh and plump, but not a stand out. The scallop dumplings were great overall – very generous size, nice flavours, just the wrapper was either a little too thick, or under cooked, as it was a bit floury tasting. The tea I always order – Po Lay (in case its not clear, all the Cantonese words I write are written roughly as they are spoken) was extremely strong. Seems it was the bottom of the bag as all the tea particles were tiny and went straight into the cups.

Above are prawn and vege dumplings with a nice and unusual presentation.

The Choi Sum veggies were very good, and the accompanying boiled dumplings were quite good – not bursting with flavour, but a nice calm bite between other flavours. Only catch was the combo came as two separate plates, which meant we paid for two serves of vegetable. (I never got why veggies are so costly at Yum Cha – like $9 or more a plate, whilst 4 chunky dumplings are only $4-$6…)

Overall I am still very impressed. And they had a mini dragon dance come through midway!





Price wise - it wasn't the cheapest. In fact probably the highest price per head I recall - but we did eat A LOT. Kate and I were joined by two 6 foot+ gents with huge appetites, and we rose to their standard. We paid $26 per person - you can see the dish prices below if zoom.



And now, the verdict (will the cuisine reign supreme?):

Matt
Food: 12.5 out of 20
Service &
Setting: 3 out of 5
Value: 3 out of 5.
TOTAL: 18.5 from 30

Kate

Food: 12 out of 20
Service &
Setting: 2.8 out of 5
Value: 3 out of 5.

TOTAL: 17.8 from 30

2 comments:

Christophe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christophe said...

Being one the 6 foot guy with the huge appetite, I just wanted to comment on the post and say that I concur with the overall score and description of the place (“bien mais pas top”) :)